Cycling to the University is easy thanks to a comprehensive network of cycle and bridle paths connecting with Treforest from all directions. For full details on the National Cycle Network routes visit Sustrans.
The Treforest Community Route joins up with the Church Village Community Route creating a lovely 6 mile traffic-free trail from Llantrisant to Treforest. Featuring two great pieces of public artwork, an array of biodiversity and pleasant views of the surrounding valleys, the routes offers fantastic commuting and leisure opportunities for students of the University of South Wales.
Bicycle shelters and stands
Covered cycle shelters are available across the University campuses:
Bike stands are located near the Sports Centre, the side of K Block, Ty Crawshay, opposite the LRC, at J block entrance and around accommodation on campus. The stands by J and K Block are secured with lockable gates.
To obtain access for the gate, first complete a Bicycle Registration Scheme Form. Access will be added to your card soon after completing the form.
Showers and lockers
Showers and lockers are available to cyclists at the Treforest Campus. There is no charge for using the showers in either location, lockers are coin operated or available to rent from the Sport Centre upon enquiry at reception. Lockers are also available in J block bike shelter and B block shower room. Please note that any equipment/kit is not to be left in lockers overnight.
Keeping Cardiff Moving provide a selection of reconditioned bikes at a reduced rate, bike hire and cycle training facilities, just visit the Keeping Cardiff Moving website for more information.
USW Bicycle Registration Scheme
The Estates and Facilities Department have set up a Bicycle Database. Students that cycle to the University can register their details with a description of their bicycle, enhancing the probability of bike recovery should it be lost or stolen.
We have negotiated discounts with some local bike shop providers.
EC Cycles have a set rate of 10% discount in store if you provide Student ID. However if you are a loyal customer, they offer 15% discount.
DT Bicycles offer student discount with a valid NUS Extra card.
Cycle Training Wales have a great stock of refurbished 2nd hand bikes available, they also offer servicing and repairs.
One of the most important changes everyone can make to the parking issues at the University is to walk between campuses instead of driving. The most direct route from Treforest campus to Glyntaff is:-
- Leave Treforest campus via the Brook Street entrance, and turn right down Brook Street.
- Cross over the road and at the end turn left so that you are walking towards the station.
- Go into the station and cross over the railway using the pedestrian bridge.
- Once out of the station, cross over the road and walk down Castle Street (side street with Pink Shop on the corner).
- At the end of the road, cross over (Caution: Local residents have indicated this crossing point as one where extra care should be taken) the street and use the pedestrian crossing over the River Taff.
- Once over the river, turn left following the footpath alongside the river.
- Cross over the road at the end, and bear right so that you cross the closed slip roads.
- Follow the path up through the grass verge, and at the top of this small hill, cross over the road, and take the hard right turn into Cemetery Road.
- The Glyntaff campus is on the right-hand side.